A country so beautiful the whole island should be a world heritage site, a people so full of pride yet so loving that it is said that once a Puerto Rican loves you they will love you forever, a blend of worlds peoples into one culture giving you salsa music, amazing culinary dishes, and titans such as Hector Lavoe, Big pun, and Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Yet the situation in the island of Boriken is not looking as paradisio as some of its post cards may suggest:
- Puerto Rico has to 13.7% unemployment rate.
- $70 billion dollars in debt.
- Detroit was $18 billion in debt and look at that shit.
- Less than 700k of the Puerto Rican population is employed in private industry, with the majority of the population barely getting by.
- The government has been running under a constant deficit for the last 15 years.
Economist state that the Country needs to renegotiated their government debts or risk default.
Puerto Rico has also legalized Medical Marijuana. This may boost the economy as it has in other states in the U.S.A
- For example Colorado expects to make $184 million in tax revenue from marijuana in the first 18 months of legalization .
- In Denver Tim Cullen owns two marijuana dispensaries. Sales for both his stores are estimated at $11.2 million. With Employees making $17 an hour, paid vacations, and 50 percent of their health care benefits are paid.
Going Green in more ways then one, may be the answer.